Hillbrook School is seeking early childhood, elementary, and middle school teachers to work in a substitute teacher role for the 2019-20 school year. The substitute teacher would provide personalized, developmentally appropriate, and joyful learning experiences to each child in their care. Classroom experience is required. Grade levels are JK through 8th. Lesson plans are prepared for the substitute teacher.
Substitute teacher scheduling is done in advance of the day of the lead teacher absence in some instances, however in many cases there is no advanced notice and the reach out to the substitute teacher is the morning of the absence. Substitute teachers are not on call and are not expected to be available at all times. Substitute teachers are encouraged to clarify which grade levels and content areas they prefer to teach for scheduling purposes.
- Substitute teach in grade levels JK through 8th and in content areas including language arts, mathematics and social studies. Other classes available to teach are science, P.E., art, music, and Spanish.
- Work with the school’s social emotional curriculum, which is based on the Responsive Classroom approach
- Collaborate and co-teach with colleagues, including Resident Teachers
- Able and willing to follow lesson plans and adapt to the needs of the individual classroom and students
- A love of elementary age children
- Demonstrated commitment to teaching and learning in a dynamic, 21st century school community
- Ability to work in a collegial, collaborative environment
- Flexibility with schedules, students, grade levels and lesson plans
- A growth mindset, active sense of humor, warm personality, and excellent organizational and communication skills
- Demonstrated proficiency in educational technology
As noted in our Statement of Inclusivity, Hillbrook is an intentionally diverse community that strives to reflect the extraordinary diversity of Silicon Valley. We believe that educational excellence and equity depend on the creation of a diverse and inclusive community where all people feel a full sense of membership. As a community, we lean into the sometimes complex and challenging conversations about inclusivity because we believe that the growth of a community and learner is continual, and striking a balance between individual and community can be difficult work.
Hillbrook School is an equal opportunity employer. Opportunities are open to all individuals without regard to race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, or handicap.
To be considered for this position, please send your cover letter and resume to:
Rozanne Schiro, Director of HR – firstname.lastname@example.org